Residence Life FACTS

Q: What should I bring when I move in?

A: These are the items you definitely should bring:

  • Alarm clock, lamp, flashlight and small trash can
  • Band-aids, aspirin, allergy medicine
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Extra long twin sheets, pillow, blankets, and comforter
  • Fan
  • Flip flops, a robe, towels, and washcloths
  • Hangers
  • Iron (with automatic shut off) and ironing board
  • Laundry bag/basket, detergent
  • Plastic Bucket or tray for shampoo, soap, toothpaste and other toiletries
  • Sewing kit
  • Surge Protector
  • Telephone
  • Umbrella
  • Writable CD's or jump drive 

These are the kinds of things that might make your room feel more comfortable:

  • Address book
  • Aquarium (10 gallon max.)
  • Computer printer (please check with IT to ensure compatibility )
  • Curtains, drapes
  • Folding camping furniture
  • Hanging shoe rack
  • Pictures from home
  • Plants
  • Plates and utensils, a mug, and a can opener
  • Popcorn
  • Posters, double sided tape
  • Microwave or micro-fridge combo (call 800-525-7307 to rent)
  • Coffee Pot (With automatic shut off).
  • Refrigerator (no more than 3.6 cubic ft.)
  • Shelves and/or crates
  • Snacks
  • Sunscreen
  • TV, VCR, CD's, appropriate sized stereo
  • Wet weather boots


DO NOT BRING THESE THINGS. They are prohibited by Centenary:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Non-UL listed multi-outlet plugs and extension cords.
  • Any display which advertises alcohol or drugs (i.e. shot glasses, posters, lighted signs, flags, blow up items)
  • Open burning elements including, (electronic and regular) cigarettes, pipes, Candles (lit or unlit), incense, candle warmers.
  • Charcoal or gas grill
  • Appliances which exceed the rated outlet capacity of 110V, 15 amps, or are considered fire hazards including but not limited to the following:
    • crock pots & hot plates, toaster ovens, electric frying pans, toasters, submergible heating coils.
    • irons and coffeemakers without auto shut off.
  • Beer Kegs and "party balls" or homemade brewing kits.
  • Dartboards (hard tipped, metal tipped, etc)
  • Electric blankets and Electric space heaters
  • Firearms or weapons of any kind including but not limited to:
    • guns, BB guns, air guns, sling shots, paintball guns, water guns, bows and arrows
    • Martial Arts Weaponry, clubs and knives with a blade of 3" or longer.
    • Personal MASE in excess of 3/4 ounce
  • Explosives or Fireworks of any kind
  • Furniture not issued by the college (i.e. couches, tables, etc)
  • Halogen lamps or lighting that has plastic components (ex: multi-colored medusa lamp).
  • Homemade loft or bunk beds are not permitted. Cinder Blocks and other homemade lost apparatus may not be used to raise beds.
  • Illegal drugs, and paraphernalia (ex: shot glasses, empty alcohol containers, pipes, empty containers, etc.)
  • Christmas or twinkle string Lights (of any kind)
  • Christmas Trees (artificial or real)
  • Toaster ovens, hot plates, Foreman grills, or any other cooking appliances. Microwaves must be no more than 800 watts, and only 1 per room is permitted.
  • Refrigerators that exceed the following capacity: 3.6 cubic feet, Electric 115 volt, 15 amp. Limit 1 per resident.
  • TV Wall Mounts
  • Pets (except fish)
  • Track lighting
  • Traffic signs or cones
  • Unsanitary items, trash, garbage
  • Volatile liquids including but not limited to, propane gas fuel, paint, paint thinner, and turpentine.
  • Waterbeds, hot tubs (including homemade), swimming pools.

To top

Q: What are the dimensions of the furniture in my room?

A: Each residence hall bedroom contains a bed, a desk and a dresser that are all standard sizes.

Desk - 48" (L) x  24" (W) x 53" (H)

Dresser - 30" (L) x  24.5" (W) x 29" (H)

Bed (low height) - 84" (L) x  38.5" (W) x 29" (H)

Bed (high height) - 48" (L) x  24" (W) x 58" (H)

Q: How many students are assigned to a room?

A: Generally there are two students assigned to a room. Our halls have shared hall bathrooms on each floor, which are maintained by the maintenance staff. Some rooms are designated as triple rooms because of the larger size and are a popular choice of our upper-class residents. Founders and Bennett-Smith are apartment style with four single bedrooms and two full bathrooms as well as a common area and a kitchen.

To top

Q: My roommate and I are not getting along - What should I do?

A: Living in close quarters with someone else is sometimes tough!  Your RAs are really great about working with roommates who might be having some difficulties.  If you're having issues with your roommate, let your RA know and they can schedule a mediation - a sit down meeting with both roommates and the RA - and go over expectations.  You can also fill out a roommate contract - a written agreement that explains expectations. 

Room changes will not be approved without first having a mediation completed.

Q: It’s ten at night and I can’t get into my room!  What do I do?

A:  Resident Assistants are available from 7pm until 7am for emergencies and anything else you may need.  They serve as your first point of contact, so feel free to present concerns to them.  During Residence Life office hours, you can go to the Residence Life office with any questions or concerns you may have.  For a calendar that tells you who is on duty in your building, refer to the blackboard main page and click on “Main Campus RA Schedule”.

To top

Q: I’m hungry!  What are my options for dining?

A:  All resident students are provided with 19 meals per week in the cafeteria. The meal plan is purchased as part of the cost of Room and Board and therefore is not negotiable. The Cyclone Cafe is another option on campus where students may eat when the cafeteria closes after dinner.

Please note that you can only access one entrance or meal use for each meal.

Visit our Dining Services Web page for more information.

To top

Click image to visit www.campusspec.com

Q: Can I have a refrigerator in my room?

A: Yes! In fact, a refrigerator is a great way to store snacks, bottled water, medicines, and vitamins. Refrigerators should be small and easily portable ... especially of you are living on the second floor for your dorm.

While we don't recommend any brand or model of refrigerator, we do suggest you consider whether you want to purchase or rent a unit. For many students, renting is more convenient and cost-effective.

MicroFridge is one brand that many Centenary students choose for their dorm room. These can be rented from Campus Specialties. Delivery and pick up services are available. For more information, please visit their Web site: www.campusspec.com.

To top

Q: How are the rooms furnished?

A: The rooms are set up with an extra-long twin bed, desk, desk chair, dresser and a closet. We provide the blinds for all windows. Rooms are not carpeted. Area rugs are allowed.  For estimated room sizes, please refer to Residence Hall descriptions.

To top

Q: What about laundry rooms?

A: All residence halls have laundry facilities. The cost of laundry is $1.25 per load to wash and $1.25 to dry.

To top

Q: Can I ask to be changed out of my room if things are not working out with my roommate?

A: Residence Life encourages all students to seek assistance from their Resident Assistant or Resident Director regarding conflicts or issues in the room. If mediation does not solve the issues, the Resident Director may look to change a student’s location if availability exists. It should be noted that no room changes are permitted during the first two weeks of the semester.  In addition, Residence Life allows an Open Room Change Period at the end of the fall semester to establish new assignments for the spring semester.

To top

Q: Can I bring my car?

A: Everyone can bring their car to Centenary! We offer parking in a designated student lot for those who register their cars.

All information on parking can be obtained at our Parking At Centenary College Web page.

To top

Q: Who do I contact if my cable is out?

A: If you have any issues in your room from your cable going out to damages or if you have any concerns with issues in common areas such as lounges or communal bathrooms, please contact your RA or the RA on duty. Your RA is here to help you and should be your first point of contact for concerns in the halls.

To top

Q: I got documented but “I didn’t know I couldn’t do that!”

A: Don’t freak out!  If you are documented for a violation, an incident report will be filed and you will receive an email from your RD to schedule a meeting within one week to discuss the incident.  If you are served with a Judicial Slip, you will meet with a Student Life staff member on Tuesday or Friday morning after your incident and an appropriate sanction will be applied (Please check your judicial slip for clarification on date of hearing).  Each incident is on a case by case basis.  For a full list of violations and Residence Life policies, please refer to the handbook.

To top

Q: I got documented but I didn’t know!

A: The student handbook is available online and it is your responsibility to know the information in it, including residence hall policies.

Download a copy of the Centenary College Student Handbook PDF

To top

Q: Where do I pay my judicial fines?

A: Fines must be paid in the Business Office within one month, and bring your receipt to the campus life office

To top