What is Student Employment?

The Student Employment program is designed to give Centenary students the opportunity to earn money and get on-the-job training while pursuing a degree. It provides on-campus part-time employment that is funded through Financial Aid and Centenary College. There are also a limited number of off-campus positions that fulfill Centenary’s commitment to partnering with the community.

International Students need to initiate the Student Employment process through the International Student Services Assistant, Tim Tomaino at extension 2278.

Students are advised to choose positions in their field of interest in order to gain the long-term benefit of working in an area that serves their goals and plans.

To top

Is Student Employment the same thing as "Work-Study"?

Some students receive a letter in their financial aid package stating that they are eligible for "federal work-study". "Work-study" is the term used when the federal government provides money for students to work on campus. Since all students at Centenary College are eligible for work-study, not only those who have received federal funds, on-campus employment is called "Student Employment."

To top

Who is eligible for student employment?

As of the Fall Semester of 2011, any student who wants to work, and has the proper identification, is eligible for a job. Proper identification is a photo ID and an original Social Security card, or a passport. 

As of the Spring 2013 Semester, student employees may not be related to any individual in the department that employs them.

To top

Why should I get a work-study job?

A Student Employment position is more than a way to put money in your pocket. Learning to deal with a work environment and conducting yourself professionally is an important piece of the educational package, and employment experience is great résumé-builder. Your supervisor is a perfect reference for your first career position after graduation, so be sure to put your best effort into your job!

To top

How can I get a work-study job?

When we become aware of openings, they will be posted in the "Current Openings" section in the left menu. 

To apply for a position, students should fill out the General Application form, along with any other applications/documents required for that particular position according to the position posting, and E-MAIL their application to:

Ginna Oksienik, oksienikg@centenarycollege.edu. 

Applications will be accepted until the posting has been filled, at which point it will be removed from the Current Openings page. Paper applications will not be accepted.

Applications will be forwarded to the appropriate supervisor, and all hiring will be conducted independently by each department.

There is no limit to the number of positions to which each student can apply, but a separate application must be completed for EACH position. Students are highly encouraged to read through the job description for each position and tailor their applications accordingly.

Openings will be posted as they are received throughout the year. There is no longer a Student Employment waitlist; rather, job seeking students are encouraged to check the Current Openings page weekly for any new openings. Major departmental openings may also be announced on the campus announcements page. The majority of new openings are posted in August before the start of the fall semester.

To top

What do I need to do before I start working?

Once you have secured a position through a department supervisor, you will need to fill out the appropriate paperwork in the Career Center BEFORE YOU START WORK. All paperwork must be processed and approved by the Career Center, Financial Aid, and Payroll before you can start logging hours.

First, you must obtain a Student Employment contract from the Career Center, complete the form, and have your supervisor sign it. When you return to the Career Center you will need to fill out your hiring paperwork.

The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires that the employment eligibility of everyone (including students) be verified prior to the start of employment. This verification is done on the I-9 form, which you will fill out in the Career Center. You will need to bring:


  • U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card


  • Photo ID (Driver’s License, Photo ID issued by Federal, State or Local Government Agencies, Student ID)
  • Original Social Security Card (Sorry, no copies!)

In addition, each student must complete a W-4 form in order to be taxed at the appropriate rate.

Students who have previously worked on campus need only to fill out a new employment contract upon returning in the fall, but likewise are NOT permitted to begin work until their supervisor receives notification from the Payroll office.

Students who log hours prior to the completion of their hiring paperwork will be at risk for termination of employment. 

To top

How many hours per week can I work?

Students work a maximum of 10 hours a week. They may work less, but they may not work more unless the supervisor has a special need and contacts the Career Center to discuss increased hours.

To top

What is the hourly rate? When do I get paid?

Students are paid $8.25 per hour and wages are paid once a month. All Payroll-related dates can now be tracked in ADP.

All timesheets will be submitted ELECTRONICALLY as of the 2014-2015 academic year. Students will receive instructions on how to complete and submit electronic timesheets upon completion of their contracts/new hire paperwork.

To top

How do I get paid?

Students will receive paychecks in their campus mailboxes on the pay dates. Commuter students can simply pick up their paychecks at the window in the mailroom. Students also have the option of enrolling in Direct Deposit online (through ADP). If you have an issue obtaining your paycheck, please contact the Payroll office.

To top

What is expected of me as an employee?

Arrive on time to your workplace.

Call your supervisor if you cannot make it to work due to illness or another obligation. Several reports of tardiness or absence will result in a request for your termination.

Dress appropriately. You represent Centenary when you work as part of the staff.

Project a positive attitude: smile, care about your work. It IS what you make it!

Keep accurate records of hours worked, and discuss any scheduling conflicts with your supervisor. Make sure your supervisor turns in your timesheet on the expected date at Payroll in the Seay Building. Late timesheets mean late pay!

To top

Can I get fired?

Of course. A Student Employment job is just like any other job, and if you do not perform your job duties properly, your supervisor may submit a request for your termination.

Your supervisor has outlined the grounds for termination in the job description for your position. They can provide you a copy of the description, or you may obtain one in the Career Center.

To top

What if I have an issue with my supervisor or don't like my job?

Stick with your new position long enough to really give it a try. Talk to your supervisor, and ask if there is something more that you should be doing to make things work.

If all else fails, please stop at the Career Center and we will help you. Do not just stop working – after all, you wanted to have a work-study job; maybe this one is just not the right position for you. In fairness to your employer, you need to give a week’s notice of your resignation.

To top