DCSIMG

Centenary College History

Founded in 1867 by the Newark Conference of the United Methodist Church, Centenary College has evolved from a coeducational preparatory school into a modern, independent, four-year baccalaureate and master-level institution of higher learning.

No stranger to change, Centenary evolved from its origin as a coeducational preparatory school to a girls’ preparatory school (1910), a junior college for women (1940), a four-year women's college (1976), a coeducational baccalaureate-degree-granting institution (1988), and a master-degree-granting institution (1995).

Centenary plays a significant role in providing educational programs to the adult population of northwest New Jersey. In 1976, Centenary began to offer coeducational degree programs for evening students.

True to its Methodist origins, Centenary is proud to bear the distinction of being the first college within the State of New Jersey to require service education as a condition of graduation. Centenary is also proud of its international outreach, with international students from as many as 20 nations providing a distinct international character to the  College’s student body.

Centenary Today

In 1999, it developed the Center for Adult and Professional Studies (CAPS), with an off-campus learning center located in Parsippany, New Jersey. This program provided working adults with accelerated degree programs at the undergraduate (BSBA and AA) and Graduate (MBA) levels.

In 2011, Centenary's dedication to reaching out to students increased significantly with renaming of the program to the Centenary College School of Professional Studies (CCSPS). This change added a new accelerated Bachelor of Arts in Sociology with a concentration in Organizational Studies, and solidified Centenary's partnerships with area corporations.

Centenary likewise encourages its indigenous students to experience international study, maintaining articulation agreements with three institutions in China, three institution in Japan, six institutions in Korea, two institutions in Northern Ireland, and one institution in Canada. 

Centenary's Campus

Centenary College has a 19-building campus on 42 acres, an equestrian center with seven buildings on 65 acres, and the off-campus CCSPS learning centers in Parsippany and Edison, New Jersey.

The College has 150 full-time and adjunct faculty. It is a member of the NCAA Division III supporting 14 intercollegiate athletic teams as an active member of the Colonial States Athletic Conference.

Centenary's Accreditation

Centenary is accredited by The Middle States Commission on Higher Education. An institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.

Centenary College is also accredited by the National Association of State Directors for Teacher Education and Certification.

Centenary has fully-accredited status from the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC), full accreditation from the Council on Social Work (CSWE), and Specialized Accreditation by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE).

To top

1867 founding of Centenary College.
Eleanor Roosevelt speaks at Centenary College, 1950.
Aerial view of Centenary College.
Centenary's Equestrian Center